Rosson House, 6th Street and Monroe Street, Heritage Square, Phoenix, AZ : 無料・フリー素材/写真
Rosson House, 6th Street and Monroe Street, Heritage Square, Phoenix, AZ / w_lemay
| ライセンス | クリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-継承 2.1 |
|---|---|
| 説明 | Built in 1894-1895, this Eastlake-style house was designed by George Franklin Barber and A. P. Petit for Dr. Roland Lee Rosson, a physician and surgeon, and his wife, Flora Murray Rosson, to serve as a residence and doctor’s office. The mansion was rented during the winters of 1895-1896 and 1896-1897 to Whitelaw Reid, whom served as the head of the New York Tribune newspaper, allowing him to avoid the harsh winters of the east coast, which worsened his health. In 1897, the Rossons sold the house and moved to Los Angeles, and the house was acquired by Aaron Goldberg, whom owned a local department store, and his wife, Carrie Goldberg. In 1904, the house was sold to Steven W. Higley, a real estate magnate, railroad builder, and part-owner of the Arizona Republic newspaper, and his wife, Jessie Freemont Howe. In 1914, the house was sold to saloon owner William Gammel, and his wife, Francis Christopher Gammel, whom lived in the house and operated a boarding house in the mansion until 1948. During this time, the house was altered to add more space, with the interior being altered, porches being enclosed, wood-frame exterior additions that obscured the original exterior facade, and adding kitchens and bathrooms for the boarders. By the 1970s, the house had fallen into disrepair, and was being utilized as a low-rent apartment building, with the exterior of the house being obscured under layers of white paint and wood-frame additions, including the entire second-story facade above the front porch. In 1974, the house and the remaining historic houses on the adjacent Block 14 were acquired by the City of Phoenix to preserve them as an open-air historical museum. The house was restored in the 1970s to its original appearance, including removing the wood-frame additions added by the Gammel family, the white paint on the brickwork, and restoring the interior spaces to their 1890s configuration and appearance. The house is clad in red brick with a hipped and gabled roof, an octagonal corner tower, one-over-one double-hung windows in arched bays, a wrap-around front porch with decorative spindle work, a cast iron railing at the second floor rooftop deck, and turned wooden columns, bracketed eaves, decorative wooden gable trim, gabled dormers, metal cresting atop the ridges of the roof, small wooden side and rear porches, and decorative patterned brickwork on the building’s facade. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1971, and is a contributing structure in the Phoenix Townsite Historic District, listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. Today, the building serves as a historic house museum, part of the Heritage Square open-air historical museum. |
| 撮影日 | 2023-12-31 16:00:30 |
| 撮影者 | w_lemay , Chicago, IL, United States |
| タグ | |
| 撮影地 | Phoenix, Arizona, United States 地図 |

