Denial Bay on Eyre Peninsula. Black swans and Cormorants on the old wool loading platform for sailing ships. Loads taken out at low tide and put on ships at high tide. : 無料・フリー素材/写真
Denial Bay on Eyre Peninsula. Black swans and Cormorants on the old wool loading platform for sailing ships. Loads taken out at low tide and put on ships at high tide. / denisbin
ライセンス | クリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-改変禁止 2.1 |
---|---|
説明 | Denial Bay and its Lutheran Church. The bay here was named by Matthew Flinders in January 1802 as he was hoping for a deep inlet to an interior river or water supply and this was denied him. The Hundred of Bonython was declared in 1893 and the first white town in the region was at Denial Bay not Ceduna. But it was hardly a town. It was mainly a depot for the loading of bales of wool from inland sheep stations. The old wharf platform some distance from the shore can still be seen as one enters the town which was originally called McKenzie’s Landing. Goods, mainly wool, were carted to the platform at low tide with draft horse teams and drays and loaded onto the platform. From there the wool was loaded onto sailing ships in the bay at high tide. The offshore wharf was built in 1892. In 1889 William McKenzie purchased a leasehold of 16,280 hectares (40,220 acres) for his sheep run. His leasehold was the biggest near here and his station had its own postal service, saddlery, blacksmith etc like many large properties did. He cleared the Mallee and promoted the idea of a town. He encouraged William Betts of Streaky Bay to open a general store here around 1888. Once enough farmers were settled on the land the government surveyed a town in 1909 and proclaimed Denial Bay in 1910. The government paid William McKenzie to build the first jetty here in 1909 and he became the harbour master. Despite costing over £8,300 the jetty’s usefulness was short-lived as once the railway from Port Lincoln reached Ceduna in 1915 the Denial Bay jetty was little used. The Federal Hotel was built in 1907 and it closed in 1920 when it was transported to Koonibba Aboriginal Mission for a school room. The Post Office was also built in 1907. McKenzie’s landing was officially changed to Denial Bay in 1940. Mckenzie was a man of great energy and his favoured saying was: “You can’t grow wheat with your hands in your pockets.” When he died his property was divided into eleven large farms. His homestead was located a few miles from the coast. Denial Bay was always a small town because of its proximity to Ceduna. Today it is no longer a port but the bay is still important to its survival. Since 1985 oyster beds have been established in the tidal flats. Because of this industry Ceduna has an Oysterfest once a year. The bay is popular with fishermen and crabbers.A few kilometres outside the town is the Denial Bay Lutheran Church. It was the first stone church in the Ceduna region with the original rear part school room/church built in 1897. A fine church was completed in 1910 some miles away at Koonibba Aboriginal Mission. The Lutheran Pastor of Koonibba also served the small church at Denial Bay as their pastor. In 1908 a small manse was built for the first resident pastor at Denial Bay and the remains of it remain on site. The current fine stone Bethlehem Lutheran Church was built in 1921. The adjacent manse was used until 1925 and later demolished. The church is still in regular use and it has an adjacent cemetery. The earliest burial in the Lutheran cemetery with a headstone was in 1897. In Denial Bay there is a monument to the Lutheran pastors who landed in Denial Bay. Pastor Kempe landed at Denial Bay in 1897 looking for land to acquire for the Lutheran Mission at Koonibba and the first pastor, Pastor Wiebusch, landed here also in 1901. A Lutheran church was not built in Ceduna until 1927. |
撮影日 | 2024-08-27 14:26:53 |
撮影者 | denisbin |
タグ | |
撮影地 | |
カメラ | DSC-HX90V , SONY |
露出 | 0.004 sec (1/250) |
開放F値 | f/6.3 |