Langhorne Creek. The coaching stables and carriage shed. The coach companies changed their horses here on the trip from Adelaide to Wellington on the Murray River. Built around 1870. : 無料・フリー素材/写真
Langhorne Creek. The coaching stables and carriage shed. The coach companies changed their horses here on the trip from Adelaide to Wellington on the Murray River. Built around 1870. / denisbin
ライセンス | クリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-改変禁止 2.1 |
---|---|
説明 | Langhorne Creek on the Bremer River. The pastoralists moved into the well-watered areas along the Bremer River early in the 1840s. The locality was named after two adventurers of the 1840s who had driven a flock of sheep to SA from NSW in 1841 for a local pastoralist. They were Alfred and Henry Langhorne. Pastoralism ended early here with the declaration of the Hundreds of Bremer and of Finniss in 1851.This meant that some of the land had been surveyed and was ready for sale to farmers for £1 per acre. The first person to buy land along the Bremer River here was Frank Potts. Potts was born in 1815, arrived in SA in 1836 and purchased his land around 1851. He went on to establish vines here and his winery was one of the first established in SA. The rich alluvial soil washed down by the annual floods of the Bremer River were excellent for vine cultivation. He called his winery Bleasdale Winery which is still operating and houses an historic wine press. The press was used from 1892 until 1962 and it is 43 feet long and 23 feet high! From its earliest days the winery has specialised in Cabernet Sauvignon and Shiraz grapes. Frank Potts also made money from building boats at Milang for the river trade. His boats included the Beltana (1873), the Wilcannia (1875), the Bourke (1876), the Dispatch (1877) and the Milang (1878). His boat names indicate they were used for the wool trade up the Murray-Darling to Wilcannia, Bourke and beyond. When the Langhorne Creek lands were offered for sale most of the early purchasers were land speculators from Adelaide or prominent landholders from nearby Strathalbyn. The Strathalbyn land occupiers included the families of McLean, Rankines of Glen Barr estate, Sir Edward Stirling of the Lodge, Sir William Milne (married into the Stirlings), the Baird, the Bayer, the Hill, the Green and the Borrett families. John Borrett was one of the first to start farming here on his property called Raydon Farm. It was the land agent speculator George Green who laid out the private township of Langhorne Creek in 1854 but the hotel at Langhorne Creek was licensed and in business by 1850 with James Baird as publican. The hotel was used by the Gold Escort troopers going to the Victorian goldfields via the established Wellington ferry. Most town blocks were not sold until 1857 but by the 1860s the township had a school (1861), a Primitive Methodist Church (1867), saddlery, a general store and Post Office. In 1892 one optimistic fellow, Charles Grey opened a brewery here as it had a good supply of high quality water. The brewery did not last for long and appears to have closed around 1895. The town businesses did well from Sunday tourists and picnickers from Strathalbyn and long distance travellers heading to Wellington and the ferry across the Murray. Langhorne’s Creek was changed to Langhorne Creek in 1941 when the state government removed punctuation from all town and place names. Some buildings to look out for in Langhorne Creek are:•The Langhorne Creek Hotel on the banks of the Bremer River. Inside it has a good collection of historic photographs. Dates from 1850. •The Soldiers Memorial Hall (for World War One) opened in 1934. Note it is the Langhorne’s Creek Hall. •Langhorne Creek store. On the southern end is the old Post Office. It was operating well before 1870.The Post Office end has typical 1860s multi-paned style widows used in shops or offices. •Old stables and coaching house. Next to the General Store. Good limestone buildings with brick quoins. Langhorne Creek was a coaching staging place for a change of horses on trips to Wellington and beyond.•Old school building. This was erected in 1861 long before schools were state government responsibilities. Note the Georgian style many paned windows. An earlier schoolroom operated from 1855. •St. John’s Anglican Church and tower. Opened by Sir Lancelot Stirling in 1929.•On the other side of the street is the old hall with the galvanised projection booth for movies. It was the Oddfellows Hall built in 1870. Used as the town community hall until the building of the 1934 Memorial Hall. Projection box added for movies in the 1930s. Note the fine details around the windows.The Langhorne Creek district only receives 375 mm (15 inches) of rain but its proximity to the lakes mitigates this low figure. Summer breezes have high humidity lowering the temperatures. Frequent flooding deposits new silt, with high moisture holding capacity. Because of the frequent flooding and humidity, supplementary summer irrigation is often not needed. But Langhorne Creek has its own privately funded irrigation scheme. The scheme began in 1996 when over 40 local farmers decided to contribute to it. Water is raised 27 metres above the level of the lake and pumped up to 17 kms away to 52 participants of the scheme. The availability of water for irrigation has seen the wine region expand greatly. There are now six other wineries apart from the Bleasdale winery in the district. After the implementation of the irrigation scheme grape tonnage rose from 10,000 tons a year to 51,000 tons in just a couple of years. It has been expanding ever since. Langhorne Creek is now the third biggest wine grape growing region of SA. Almost 90% of the wine produced is red wine. The district has also expanded the plantings of Verdelho vines in recent years too. And the region also produces the South Australian icon - Newman’s horse radish. |
撮影日 | 2022-10-09 15:43:34 |
撮影者 | denisbin |
タグ | |
撮影地 | |
カメラ | DSC-HX90V , SONY |
露出 | 0.003 sec (1/400) |
開放F値 | f/3.5 |