Tumut. The 1946 established broom factory for handmade brooms. Willows from the banks of the Tumut River are used for the brushes. : 無料・フリー素材/写真
Tumut. The 1946 established broom factory for handmade brooms. Willows from the banks of the Tumut River are used for the brushes. / denisbin
ライセンス | クリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-改変禁止 2.1 |
---|---|
説明 | Tumut. Bridging the Tumut River, a tributary of the Murrumbidgee which it joins in Gundagai, this pretty foothills town nestles as the base of Kosciusko National Park. The Tumut River rises about 40 kms from Mt Kosciusko and it has three dam/reservoirs along it as part of the Snowy Mountains Scheme hydroelectric power generation system. Whilst Tumut has over 800 mm of rain yearly. Hamilton Hume discovered the Tumut River in 1824 and the first white squatter Benjamin Warby arrived in 1828 at Darbalara although he and the ones who followed him only became licensed leaseholders from 1839. They included George and William Shelley of Been (Tumut Plains) station. Shelley senior was a missionary and they are credited with making sure there were no Aboriginal deaths or massacres near Tumut. More settles arrived in the 1840s when land leasing was legal. A courthouse was established in 1845. The town was laid out in 1848 and a police constable was appointed. But by 1856 few buildings were more than mere slab huts. The first Post Office in 1849 operated from the Courthouse. Like Gundagai the original town site moved up the hill after the 1852 Tumut River floods. In 1860 thousands passed through the small town on their way to the goldfields at Kiandra (1859) in the Snowy Mountains and later to Adelong on the plains. Tumut emerged as a solid town. With gold came bushrangers and Ned Kelly’s brother operated in this district in the 1870s. By 1866 there were eleven hotels in the town and the town population was around 400; in 1887 Tumut became a municipality; and in 1903 the branch railway line from Gundagai reached the town. Dairying and forestry became major district industries in the 20th century and the Tumut River became a major site for hydroelectric power stations during the construction of the Snowy Mountains Scheme. Blowering Dam was built just above the town. Tumut 1, 2 and 3 power stations were also built on the Tumut River. In autumn the Lombardy Poplars along the Tumut River display great colour. They were planted in 1861. More autumn colour can be found in the Avenue of Elms which leads to the racecourse, thus it is not surprising that Tumut established the Festival of the Falling Leaf in the 1950s. Tumut was one of the many sites considered for the National Capital but Canberra was finally selected for that. A Royal Commission looked at Tumut’s suitability as the national capital. Tumut was selected by the House of Representatives in 1904 but then replaced by Bombala and then the Senate replaced it with Dalgety. But the NSW parliament refused to cede land around Dalgety so four years later after much politicking a site near Yass was finally approved. Like all places considered it had to have good flat land, a good water supply and be further than 100 miles from Sydney but still in NSW. The town’s historic buildings include: 1. On the way into town from Gundagai is the Old Tumut Butter Factory. It was established in 1902. Now the Information Centre. Opposite it is the Broom Factory.It was established in 1946 by the Tumut Cooperative Millet Society. It went into private ownership in 1978 and still makes by hand and sells traditional millet brooms. In the 1920s Tumut had 120 millet producers. Today it has just three. It is the only broom factory left in Australia.2. Next on left is the Catholic Church. The first red brick church built in 1859 is used by the Catholic School as a hall. The fine blue granite church opened in 1878. It is known for its Rusconi marble altar and German stained glass windows. The nuns opened the present Catholic School in 1883 and their convent was finished in 1886. 3. At the roundabout turn right to the Presbyterian Church. The first Presbyterian was built in 1856 elsewhere. This current Uniting Church was built in 1878 as the Presbyterian Church. 4. Just before the second roundabout is the School of Arts. 1881. A beautiful classical style building with symmetry.5. Next on right is the Bank of NSW now Westpac. A classical colonnaded building 1891 with Ionic columns. 6. Diagonally is Commercial Bank of Sydney with fluted iron columns and French windows in the upstairs residence. Now a NAB Bank. 7. Right is the Royal Hotel. The upper French windows date it to about 1860 when the Kiandra gold rush began. It was formerly known as the Rising Moon Hotel. 8. The Oriental Hotel. Built in 1876 replacing an earlier 1850 hotel. It has fine cast iron lacework on the balcony. 9. On the opposite corner is the Courthouse. Architect was James Barnet. Built in 1878. The stables erected 1879 and the police station completed in 1874. Beside Police Station is the Tumut Official Residence built in 1896 in Queen Anne Federation style with rounded window, gable, veranda with wooden posts etc. 10. Worte’s cottage. Red brick with yellow brick quoins. Decorative fretwork on barge boards. Pretty bay window. Street facing gable. Built around 1890. 11. Further down the street at next intersection is the Anglican Church. A church barn was built in 1857 and this grand church was designed by architect Edmund Blacket who designed the Carcoar Church, the University of Sydney quadrangle etc was started in 1875 and completed in 1878. Note the dark brick work patterns beneath the quadruple façade windows. Tower completed in 1881. |
撮影日 | 2019-01-05 15:57:29 |
撮影者 | denisbin |
タグ | |
撮影地 | |
カメラ | DSC-HX90V , SONY |
露出 | 0.004 sec (1/250) |
開放F値 | f/6.3 |