North Adelaide. Eastern facade of the Anglican Bishops Court occupied in 1856. Building started in 1851. : 無料・フリー素材/写真
North Adelaide. Eastern facade of the Anglican Bishops Court occupied in 1856. Building started in 1851. / denisbin
ライセンス | クリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-改変禁止 2.1 |
---|---|
説明 | Bishops Court and the Christ Church Rectory. Within weeks of his arrival in South Australia Bishop Short purchased a two acre block at North Adelaide from George Morphett adjoining the Christ Church land. Augustus Short saw this as the future Bishop’s Court residence next door to his pro cathedral. His eldest son the eight year old Henry Augustus Short laid the foundation stone of Bishops Court in January 1851. Work began on the Tudor Gothic residence in local limestone and red brick but workers disappeared in late 1851 and 1852 when news of the Victorian gold rushes reached the colony. So work was delayed. Bishop Short commissioned Henry Stuckey to design Bishops Court, its stables and the Rectory for Christ Church in 1850. Stuckey set up his architectural practice in 1848 and lived in Palmer Place very close to where Bishops Court is located. Stuckey received other commissions from Bishop Short for the early buildings of St Peters Boys College (The Old School House and the big School Room) and the as well as several Anglican churches in South Australia in the early 1850s – Clare, Penwortham, Hindmarsh, Port Adelaide, Port Lincoln and Glenelg. Stuckey died in 1851 so all of these churches were built around 1850 to 1852. Curiously after Stuckey died in 1851 his widow married Edmund Wright one of the great 19th century architects of South Australia in 1852. Edmund Wright advertised that he would supervise the completion all work started by Henry Stuckey. This included both Bishops Court in Palmer Place and Christ Church Rectory also in Palmer Place. The Christ Church Rectory was finished first and occupied around 1851 or 1852 but although Bishops Court was occupied in 1856 by Bishop Short and his family the Bishop had sometimes used Bishops Court for an overnight stay before its completion. Once a bedroom and library were finished he would stay there overnight to save the trip back to Claremont House at Beaumont. In October 1855 he held a reception for about 200 people including the Governor of South Australia at a luncheon at Bishops Court surrounded by builders and plasters. The house is a rather rustic example of a Tudor Gothic mansion with a steeply pitched roof, ornamental shaped chimneys, gables, shuttered windows, Gothic arches and a veranda. Bishops Court has been little altered since its completion except for the addition of a chapel by Bishop Thomas in 1912. The architect for this addition was George Soward. On the north facing wall of this chapel there is one recent addition which is a huge wall sun dial in memory of Bishop Short. It was unveiled in 1996. Wall sun dials are not common in South Australia and this fine example is made of stainless steel on a north facing wall of course. It is three metres tall and designed around a Celtic Cross. Unfortunately the high stone wall and trees and shrubs of Bishops Court masks public views of it. A small plaque on the street wall indicates that it exists. The best views of it are available from a little private mews alley behind Bishops Court. The Anglican Rectory for Christ Church is also in Palmer Place and is similar to the design of Bishops Court reflecting the fact that Henry Stuckey designed both buildings to complement each other. |
撮影日 | 2017-08-09 12:49:29 |
撮影者 | denisbin |
タグ | |
撮影地 | |
カメラ | DSC-HX90V , SONY |
露出 | 0.003 sec (1/320) |
開放F値 | f/4.5 |