Victoria Dock - Gloucester Docks - Albert, Britannia and Victoria Warehouses : 無料・フリー素材/写真
Victoria Dock - Gloucester Docks - Albert, Britannia and Victoria Warehouses / ell brown
| ライセンス | クリエイティブ・コモンズ 表示-継承 2.1 |
|---|---|
| 説明 | At the Gloucester Docks.Victoria Dock.This dock was opened in 1849 to enlarge the dock area for increasingly busy trade. Mobile shots as the batteries on my main camera were flat!A look back at the Albert, Britannia and Victoria Warehouses.Albert Warehouse is Grade II listed. GLOUCESTER SO8218SE THE DOCKS 844-1/11/336 Albert Warehouse 12/03/73 (Formerly Listed as: THE DOCKS Albert Mill Warehouse) GV II Bonded warehouse, partly converted for use as museum. 1851. Probably by John Jaques, architect, of Gloucester and Joseph Moss, builder, for William Partridge, corn merchant and property developer, of Birmingham. In 1869 converted to a flour mill for James Reynolds; ground floor converted c1988 for the Robert Opie Museum of Packaging. Brick with stone lintels and sills, internally hollow cast-iron columns supporting timber floors, slate roof with timber barge boards to end-gables and eaves cornices to sides. A large rectangular block with gable-end facing Victoria Dock. EXTERIOR: six storeys, basement and attic; on each side in the centre a former loading door opening flanked to each side by ten small windows on each floor (many windows built up) and in the centre of each gable-end wall former loading door opening flanked to each side by two small windows and a single window in the gable; in the former loading doors C20 windows; all windows of similar size with stone lintels and projecting stone sills; in each side wall, above the former loading doors in each side wall gabled dormers replacing former cats-head canopies, the loading doors infilled with C20 windows. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: the first mill in the Gloucester Docks in which roller milling machinery was installed in 1882. One of three similar warehouse built following the construction of the Victoria Dock: Britannia Warehouse (rebuilt and not included) and Victoria Warehouse (qv). (Conway-Jones H: Gloucester Docks An Illustrated History: Gloucester: 1984-: 168; Original Drawings in Gloucestershire Record Office: D2460 Drawings 1-M). Listing NGR: SO8277818268This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.Source: English HeritageListed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence. Albert WarehouseBuilt in 1851, this warehouse was intially rented to corn merchants W C Lucy & Co. Once a year, the lower floor was cleared for the annual fund-raising tea meeting organised by the chaplain of the nearby Mariner's Chapel. In 1869, James Reynolds took over the building and converted it to a flour mill with a boiler and engine house built to the south. Initially wheat was ground between stones, but in 1880 new roller milling machines were installed. Further equipment was added over the years to keep the business competitive until the mill was eventually closed in 1977. Britannia WarehouseBuilt in 1861, this warehouse was intially rented to the Bristol based corn merchants H Adams & Co (later R & H Adams Ltd). In 1905, the lease passed to G T Beard who managed a number of the Gloucester warehouses, storing grain for various merchants who did not have their own accommodation. From the 1930s, the warehouse was no longer storing grain, and floors were rented to firms such as W S Barron & Son, millwrights, and Priestley Studios, who built exhibition displays. In 1987, when occupied by Cotswold Typesetting and by furniture stored by Loader & Munckton, the building was completely gutted by fire.Britannia Warehouse was demolished and rebuilt, using many of the old bricks, to provide offices which were first occupied in 1990.Now occupied by Barclays Bank and the British Publishing Company Victoria Warehouse - it is Grade II listed. GLOUCESTER SO8218SE THE DOCKS 844-1/11/363 Victoria Warehouse 12/03/73 GV II Bonded warehouse, now offices. 1849 converted to offices c1990. Probably by John Jaques of Gloucester, and built by William Jones, for William Partridge, corn merchant and property developer of Birmingham. Red brick with stone lintels and sills to window openings, internally timber floors supported by hollow cast-iron columns, slate roof with timber barge boards to gable-ends and brick eaves cornices to sides. Large rectangular block, the east gable-end facing Victoria Dock. EXTERIOR: six storeys, basement and loft; in each side in the centre a full height, former loading door opening, flanked on each side by ten windows on each floor, in the centre of each gable-end wall a former loading door opening flanked on each side by two windows on each floor and a single window in the gable; all the former loading door openings infilled with late C20 windows and panels, and the original windows with C20 side-hung sashes; above each of the former loading doors on the sides walls a restored, timber, gabled cat-head canopy at eaves level INTERIOR: refitted for offices, not inspected. One of three similar warehouses built in conjunction with the construction of the Victoria Dock: Britannia Warehouse (rebuilt and not included) and Albert Warehouse (qv). (Conway-Jones H: Gloucester Docks An Illustrated History: Gloucester: 1984-: 168; Original Drawings in Gloucestershire Records Office: D2460 Drawings 1-N). Listing NGR: SO8282518360This text is a legacy record and has not been updated since the building was originally listed. Details of the building may have changed in the intervening time. You should not rely on this listing as an accurate description of the building.Source: English HeritageListed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence. Victoria WarehouseBuilt in 1849, it was rented to the Bristol based corn merchants Wait James & Co. After they moved to the newly built Llanthony Warehouse in 1873, it was occupied by Cadle & Co, the Severn Ports Warehousing Co and then Sidney Lane.When Lane went bankrupt in 1900, it was taken over by Bristol based corn merchants Turner Nott & Co, who continued until 1926. After standing empty for ten years, the warehouse was leased by builder's merchants Sessions & Sons until 1962, and then it was used by Priday Metford & Co for storing and bagging flour from the nearby City Flour Mills until 1989. |
| 撮影日 | 2014-08-09 14:50:35 |
| 撮影者 | ell brown , Birmingham, United Kingdom |
| タグ | |
| 撮影地 | Gloucester, England, United Kingdom 地図 |
| カメラ | C5303 , Sony |
| 露出 | 0.001 sec (1/1250) |
| 開放F値 | f/2.4 |
| 焦点距離 | 3 mm |

